Kitchen Chemistry // My First Hot Oil Treatment

20130819-133649.jpg

In my previous post, I wrote that I would like to try a hot oil treatment after removing my yarn twists. Well two days ago, I was able to do so. For my treatment, I mixed soybean oil, unrefined coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, and sesame oil in a repurposed worcestershire bottle (coz we recycle ’round heah) and let it sit in a cup of boiled water for about ten minutes. I applied it to my wet hair, focusing on the ends, covered my hair with a plastic bag, and let it sit under a heated towel for roughly 30 minutes. I then rinsed it out with warm water, applied conditioner, and let it air dry. I’ve heard a lot of people claiming it was difficult for them to rinse the oils out and ended up having to co-wash to get the excess out, but I used lightweight carrier oils so I didn’t have that problem at all.

Here’s the breakdown of benefits from each oil:

Soybean Oil

Contains proteins
Strengthens over time

Coconut Oil

Penetrates wet hair
Contains proteins to temporarily repair damaged hair
Prevents dandruff

Olive Oil

Prevents dandruff
Softens
Anti-fungal
Antibacterial

Sesame Oil

Can darken the hair over time
Natural sunscreen for hair
Antibacterial
Strengthens
Helps prevent dandruff

The protein contained within the oils temporarily repair uneven cuticle coverage, increasing elasticity and giving my hair an overall healthy look and feel. I wouldn’t say my hair was any softer than normal, but it was more manageable. There was a noticeable reduction in frizz (at first, but I’ll get to that in a minute), to say I didn’t use gel, but here’s where I messed up: I planned on doing a wash-n-go textured updo, but I deviated from my tried and true wash-n-go method, the twist-n-blow, and instead of allowing my hair to dry 70% in medium twists before untwisting and air/blow drying the remaining 30%, I called myself trying something different and allowed my hair to dry 98% in loose, chunky twists. My hair did NOT appreciate it. It responded by spazzing out after separating the twists. Never again. Well, I shouldn’t say never. I mean, it was cute, but I really wasn’t going for the fluffy naked curls look (the Haley Marie Norman look, as I call it). I had to re-wet my hair using my Elixir and finger comb to define my curls and let it dry loose. Crisis averted, right? NO!! Turns out, this particular batch of Elixir contained waaaay too much oil. So once my hair dried completely for a second time, it was still SOAKED with oils running all over my neck, face, shoulders, and back. My skin is baby soft, granted, but my hair was like I dipped it in a pot of oil. I said I wasn’t going to fool with my hair anymore that night so I got a large strip of stretch cotton fabric and wrapped my hair in it to squeeze out the excess oil. I slept with that thing on and I STILL have superhero oily hair.

I confirmed it was the Elixir because I also use it on my daughter’s fine, silky curls and waves, which only requires the minutest amount of oil, if any, and her hair came out waxy even though I only misted it for styling purposes. Major fail, but so goes the natural hair journey; trial and error. Now, I must dilute and finish the bottle off and strip down my Elixir recipe to the essential ingredients I know work; water, conditioner, honey, coconut oil, and olive oil. You may recall the recipe used to include vegetable glycerin. I discovered I don’t really need vegetable glycerin if I double the amount of honey. Saving them coins, girl.

Sooo, loved the hot oil treatment, put waaaayy too much oil in this batch of Elixir, but hey my curls are defined so I can’t complain too much. I threw in some pics of my curls, but there’s so much oil that the flash is reflected back at the camera, distorting the definition of the image where my hair is massed in most of them. Yes, it’s too shiny HASMHS (hang and shake my head slowly). I have to rinse this oil out at some point today so I have my hair in a loose bun for now. -sigh- Natural hair problems… Peace & Love

P.S. I started the CG Method again, but I modified it for my needs and schedule. The pics below also represent day one, week one. I’ll get into detail with the hows and whys in another post.

image
image
image
image
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s